1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

What're you watching?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rhys, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Yup.

So, I'm into this now.

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I never actually watched X-Files at all. Was a bit young to do so when it was originally out, and honestly have heard nothing about the series since until you've been talking about it on Twitter and here, haha.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    My only exposure to it previously was "The Springfield Files" episode of The Simpsons - which is fantastic. But, yes, having watched some of this now, I can safely say I was also far too young when this aired originally.

I decided to give this a go because they're going to air a new mini-season event next year. And... the show runners on Person of Interest routinely cite The X-Files as their basis for PoI's plot structure (procedural, yet increasingly serial. Person/monster-of-the-week episodes for casuals, with season/series long "mytharcs" for the fans). And with no idea when on earth PoI is going to air again (thanks CBS), I'm using this to fill the gap lol

I found a useful post on Reddit that lists mytharc episodes, character development episodes, and outstanding casual episodes. So, I'm skipping most of the filler to catch up by January. I am hooked though, so I might revisit the episodes I'm skipping some day.

the truth is out there :P

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I've been encouraged by a friend at work to check out "Mr. Robot" (primarily because I am failing her on feigned efforts to get into "Game of Thrones"). I haven't watched it yet, is anyone familiar with the show?

Still going strong with "The X-Files". Wrapping up Season 5 of the "essentials" list I'm following. I should be on the first movie (Fight the Future!) this week. Really enjoying this series. Hoping it doesn't go downhill after this movie (basically half way point in series)

Also still awaiting for some news on when "Person of Interest" will return to air for it's likely final (truncated) season unless Netflix or HBO pick it up and save it :(

I watched a couple episodes of "The Blacklist" this season, but really not caring for the plot arc at the time so I haven't watched it in several weeks.

This season of "Doctor Who" has been hit and miss for me. They've really upped the cheese factor compared to recent seasons for a lot of the episodes so far.

I really need to start watching a comedy @_@

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Well, I did it. I finished my "essentials" watching of "The X-Files". 111 episodes (out of 202), 2 movies ("Fight the Future" and "I Want to Believe"), and 1 spin-off episode with "The Simpsons". Pulled it off in time for the miniseries later this January. Loved it. Really terrific show.

As I still await the eventual and long-delayed return of "Person of Interest", I think I'll combine these two interests and try out J. J. Abrams' "Fringe". Inspired by "The X-Files" in subject matter and plot structure while sharing a lot of the writing staff of "Person of Interest" (also Abrams-produced).

It's like one big circle of inter-related science fiction thrillers I can't escape from.

6. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Er... make that 116 episodes :X I may have come home after work yesterday and watched five episodes back-to-back into the night.

The site "TV Insider" just posted a list of episodes to catch up on the series before the miniseries begins. So, I covered the difference in what I hadn't seen from that list.

Let's be real. I am likely going to end up seeing all 202 episodes eventually lol

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I've been rewatching some choice episodes of The Simpsons and Person of Interest lately. Almost finished Season 2 on the first, almost finished Season 1 on the the latter.

Tonight, I wrapped up this X-Files journey with the miniseries finale. Save for the second episode, and maybe the third, this miniseries was waste of time. It didn't feel the same. I was very rushed. The writing was bad. It was repeatedly spoofing itself. It was weird, overall.

On the recommendations of others, I will be checking out soon: Black Mirror, The Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, Parks and Recreation. I kinda want to explore Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Angie Tribeca. I think I need a comedy.

I've also been told to check out Mr. Robot, but I think doing so would be betraying Person of Interest.

I still have this whole season of Blacklist I've ignored because it was kinda bad.

Oh, I didn't mention back in January that I caught the Sherlock special. That could have been better if it stayed in oldentimes

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I've finally started watching the first season of Game of Thrones. The book was such a thick, heavy read, so it's nice to be able to put faces to the characters and to actually see a lot of the events described in it.

I may actually go on and watch the series rather than wait until after I read the books, since they're kind of a slow burn and I don't want to put it off for that long.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    What'd you think of the show so far?

I gave up after four episodes because I did not care about anyone or anything that happening. I'm assuming that's not the case for you since you got through the book.

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I'm enjoying the show more than the book, honestly. I haven't watched in a while since I had a concert and then immediately after that I had to prepare for my trip I took last week, but I'll probably pick it up again this week.

There are definitely a lot of characters and names to remember, so I can see how it's not for everyone. It also picks up a bit toward the end, once you get through the whole establishing characters/setting phase.