1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Wii U sales weak - what can Nintendo do?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Yeah I... still don't see myself getting one at that price. I'd rather save up another $100 and get an actual next-gen console. :/

2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    You do get a game bundled with the Wii U, so I guess it's possible to claim that it's still about $150 less than the PS4. $299 is a start (I think $249 or at most $279 would have been the sweet spot), but the price drop isn't going to matter as much if they can't give the thing a decent game library.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I don't see it going down much more because of that blasted tablet unfortunately :(

The library is on its way. It's a good holiday I season I think. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, NSMBU and NSMLU, Pikmin 3, Scribblenauts, Sonic: Lost World, Super Mario 3D World, TWWHD, Wonderful 101. Most of that (not interested in TWW or 101) I'd pick up this year. Next year has Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Bayonetta at the least. Hopefully A Hat in Time too. And then you have some multiplatform stuff too.

In contrast, the other console I'm kinda sorta wrestling with right now is the PlayStation 3 and if I got one right now I would just pick up some HD collections of PS2 games - that's all I'm really interested in. Ico/Shadow the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts HD, Sly Cooper collection, Katamari Forever, and I'd maybe try the Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell collections or Uncharted.

But both would still be more than I've gotten out of my 3DS in what two years? I have only five games?

Granted, the Wii U is actually competing against the Xbox One and the PS4 - not the PS3. But right now, for my money this year, it's against the PS3. And for at least another year nothing on the other two next-gen consoles interests me aside from Knack

4. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    There are 4 games I'm interested in: Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, and Scribblenauts Unlimited. I think that's enough.

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The problem I have with Wii U is that all the games we've seen so far are so...safe. There's no 3D Mario or Zelda that pushes the limit and shows what the hardware can do. If 3D World is anything like 3D Land, it'll basically be yet another horribly generic 2D Mario but with some 3D elements. Donkey Kong Country looks like basically a level pack for the Wii game. And TWW seems to be just an unnecessary port of a Gamecube game (that's aged beautifully, I might add!) but with bloom, bloom, and more bloom.

I'm not sure Nintendo quite knows what to do with the Gamepad either. It doesn't have the mass appeal of motion control and pretty much the only uses we've seen for it have been maps, menus, and off-TV play - which really aren't enough to justify the expense it adds to the system.

6. Cherrim

56%
    ...I can't see you playing/liking Bayonetta at all, lmao. :(

DarkSpade93 likes this.
  7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Yeeeeah, if he does, he should find a way to stream it. I would have to watch that, lmao.

DarkSpade93 and Cherrim like this.
  8. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I didn't say for me XD I didn't word it well

I meant as part of the growing library for those interested

9. Cherrim

56%
    Yeah... having that sentence right after "most of that ... I'd pick up this year" made me simply assume you were listing more things you wanted, haha.

I'll still be kinda surprised if Bayonetta 2 doesn't make it to any other consoles. :/ I'm still surprised it's on Wii U at all.

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Nintendo is publishing it. It's the only reason it exists, it's why it's on Wii U, and it's not going anywhere else.