1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

February 20 PlayStation Announcement - "See the future [of PlayStation]"

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Jan 31, 2013.

1. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I'm not sure what I think. I'll wait till e3 till I make a judgement.

2. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    I missed out on literally all of it and have had to build my impression of it based on tweets and whatever few sites I had time to access while standing in line at Disney World or falling asleep after a long day there. :P

Is the thing about not being able to transfer PSN purchases from your PS3 to your PS4 really true? If so, WTF SONY. :/

That said, I'll probably still pick it up when I can. I probably want to make this my only next-gen console. u_u;

3. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    Yeah, the PS4 won't natively play PS3, PS2, or even PS1 software. They said they're working on a way to let people stream older games to their PS4s, but that's more of an end goal than something they intend to have close to launch.

4. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    So, that's digital. What about what was first reported on backwards compatible with discs from the older home consoles? Also no?

5. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    They said that it won't play any previous PlayStation discs. Heck, the PS4 doesn't even read CDs, so that automatically rules out PS1 games. The lack of PS2 and PS3 backwards compatablity is more because it'd be really difficult for them to include it (especially for PS3 games) instead of just streaming the games to systems.

6. Cherrim

56%
    Oh, wow, really? I'd heard it was fully backwards-compatible with everything. I'm kind of not interested in it at all now. :/

7. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I don't get what the massive thing is with backward comparability. I haven't missed playing my Xbox games on my 360, I've never cared to play my PS2 games on my PS3 and I've never thought "Wow I really want to play Super Mario Land on my DS!" If I want to play a PS2 game I'll just fire up my old PS2. I mean it was cool to play Gamecube games on the Wii I guess, but it wasn't something that sold the console to me, it was just a minor convenience when it came to wires and space.

8. Cherrim

56%
    When you don't have a whole lot of room in your TV area or connections on your TV, it's pretty important to keep backwards-compatibility around. Plus, factor in that old controllers won't always work and it's just frustrating when your older consoles die out because you can't play your old games if the new consoles don't support them. I can accept not playing the physical discs but not playing digital purchases? Don't care what upgrades the console has... it shouldn't rewrite the entire functionality of the PS3.

I was so impressed with Sony this gen for having Playstation Plus but now it feels like... what's the point? The whole reason to keep up your PS+ subscription is to continue to have access to the games you "rented" on it but if you can't have access to them anyway if you upgrade as an early adopter of PS4, it feels kind of like punishment for opting into it in the first place. (This sounds kind of whiny and entitled and I'm really grateful they made the jump into a service like this, but I'm so slow with games that I'm only just now getting to my very first free game since I got the service in October and were I to upgrade to PS4 when it comes out, I wouldn't have access to any of the games I'd accumulated over this time so the subscription would turn out to be a total waste.)

9. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    Didn't realise they were stopping digital backward compatibility? That's ridiculous.

10. Cherrim

56%
    Yeah, the processors of the PS4 run entirely differently so programs that run natively on the PS3 would have to be emulated, which is why it doesn't support PS3 right out of the box. I mean, it makes sense and I understand why it can't happen but it's still really disappointing after they did so well on the downloads front this gen that I won't be able to make use of anything from this gen... at least not until they figure out some work-around.