1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rhys, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Has anyone played the ending DLC yet? It sounds like it's come out now. I've never played a Mass Effect but I saw a spoiler-free description of the ending and why it pissed so many people off. I'm curious to hear how the new one stands in comparison to the old one even if I have no clue what any of it is about.

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    I haven't played it (I'm still on the first game... >>'), but I've heard the extended endings are still hit-or-miss. I've seen some people complain that BioWare only did the bare-minimum to get people to shut up, while others love the endings. That's all I intend to find out until I play the game for myself. xD

3. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Hmm. That's pretty surprising if they only did bare minimum, although... I guess I do understand it. It's not like they were required to make a better ending, nor release it for free, so I suppose bare minimum makes sense.

I feel like if they were just gonna half-ass it, though, that they should've just left it as-is and let people just deal with it.

4. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    I've seen the new endings online. I'm at the end of ME3 and I wanted to see what the new endings were before I choose one again. I haven't finished my current playthrough of ME3 yet, I'm just at the end. Now I liked the original endings but I do admit that they could have been better. The lack of closure with regards to characters didn't bother me, I'm sure things would have been explained in future installments of the series, but the uncertainty of the outcomes of the three endings was a problem. This is pretty much fixed in the new endings, where about 5 minutes of new cutscenes is taken to explain the outcome of the choice you made. And I have to say, with the original endings, the so called "best" ending was quite clear to me, with it being the Destroy ending. But now, I'm conflicted...in a good way. The pros and cons between the endings are much more balanced now due to the explanations. I really have no idea which ending I'm going to choose now when I do end up completing ME3 and honestly, this makes me happy. I can now say with complete confidence that BioWare created a fantastic way to end the Shepard trilogy. Good job BioWare!

5. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    I played them earlier today. (Well I played my ending, then watched the others on YouTube)

If on a scale of 1-10 we rate the endings...

Original 3 endings = 1 (bad)
    New EC endings = 8.34 (good)

Personally the new endings have taken the sour taste of Mass Effect from my mouth. I hated the thought of even playing them again knowing I'd get such a crap ending. But now I am very pleased and currently doing another playthrough of the series.

6. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    For those who care, here are my two cents about the new endings...

Destroy: This causes a lot of death and destruction. EDI, geth, quarians, volus. All gone. And the Reapers essentially become space debris, floating aimlessly in space forever. I chose this one before simply because Shepard lives but now I realize it's not worth it.

Control: Shepard becomes God. Cool. And he cannot become evil because he is now an impression of his former self, someone who vowed to protect the galaxy. Shepard controls the Reapers and uses them for good. Maybe people will still be freaked out that the Reapers still exist but hopefully they will understand that Shepard is using them to benefit all life.

Synthesis: This seems like the perfect ending but to me it's not. Everything becomes a hybrid of organic and synthetic life. The organics are cybernetically upgraded and the synthetics now understand feelings and free will. And the Reapers become vessels of knowledge, providing information about the history of the galaxy. However, EDI points out that everyone will possibly become immortal somewhere down the line due to the new DNA. So, being immortal and still being able to reproduce? That's a deadly combination. It's a grim fact but death is a necessary part of life. The old must make way for the new. So this to me is not a good ending.

Refusal: Shepard essentially says no to the above options and the Reapers succeed. However, the next cycle uses the knowledge that Shepard and friends discovered and do put an end to the Reapers, but we don't know how. Too vague to be a satisfying ending.

So, this time around I chose the Control ending. A sustainable ending where the pros outweigh the cons.

7. Klippy

Klippy Resident Animal Crosser

30%
    The thing people have taken from Control is that Shepard will eventually use the Reapers similarly to how the Catalyst used them (to wipe out/control portions of life). Depending on your Shepard (Paragon/Renegade), he was willing to do quite a lot of damage to species. So the theory is that he will eventually go Catalyst on the galaxy again when synthetics rise up once more or organics cause too much trouble for each other (Krogan Rebellions, First Contact War). The difference between Catalyst and Shepard is that the Catalyst followed the instructions (sort of), Shepard-Reaper will intervene wherever the REAL/LIVING Shepard would have as well.

Personally I found Synthesis to be the best ending. Shepard may die, but everyone else now lives in peace forever (or so the ending tells us, basically). I thought Destroy had too many negatives (EDI and Geth dead, etc.), Control wasn't my cup of tea (but I like the ending actually), and Refuse just sucks. They should've done an ending montage of all your friends and stuff being decimated by the Reapers as is told, then it would have been epic.