1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

The WiiU

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Marz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I don't know why they don't use Nintendo Land for the demo kiosks. It's a great demo of some creative ways that the Gamepad can be used in both multiplayer and single player games. Honestly, it's not awkward at all if it's used properly - asynchronous multiplayer is where it really shines (like in the Luigi's Mansion or Mario Chase games), but most of the single player games in Nintendo Land use it really creatively too. It's also really convenient to have menus or maps displayed on the Gamepad in games like Darksiders II rather than have to pause the game and bring up a separate screen.

As far as transferring the game from the TV to the Gamepad screen, I can see it being really useful in family households where TVs are shared. But for us single people or who have TVs that aren't shared with anyone else, it's pretty redundant. I guess it'd be convenient in some cases, but in the end I'd rather play on my HDTV rather than the tiny Gamepad screen - even though the picture is really good.

Also, the menus on the kiosks suck and are nothing like the real Wii U menu. :/

2. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'm looking forward to the TV to gamepad transfer. I lose access to the TV a lot XD And since I won't be able to use surround sound with the Wii U anyway because Nintendo is cheap, I don't mind having to play with headphones

3. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I don't have surround sound, so that's no big deal for me. And I have my own TV and I'm the only one that uses it, so I have no need for the transfer. I still use it on Nano Assault Neo sometimes though - it's absolutely seamless.

4. DocGoblin

DocGoblin dutty techs

23%
    I've been playing the Wii-U a decent amount and I'm not a huge fan. It looks great and some of the games seem fun, but I hate the controller with a passion. It just doesn't feel right in my hands.

5. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Nintendo has released its financial results for the last quarter which show that the Wii is still outselling the Wii U, both in terms of hardware and software.

How many people here have purchased a Wii U? Are you planning on buying one? I may decide to get one closer to the holiday season when more games come out and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

6. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I think this holiday season will make or break the Wii U - and I'm really iffy on whether or not it's going to make it. I don't think 3D World will be a huge system seller...they really needed Mario Kart to generate strong Christmas sales, and I don't think it'll have as much of an impact in spring 2014.

A price drop is absolutely mandatory as well. The fact you'll be able to get a PS4 for $50 more is a huge detriment to the Wii U.

7. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'd like to pick one up this year. There are a lot of games I would pick up for it this year that I would play. But, they really need to drop the price.

Mario Kart this year would have been a huge plus, absolutely. They've had Mario Kart for holiday on previous consoles and it was great benefit, I don't know why they wouldn't have pushed for it this time. Which is doing better on the 3DS? 3D Land or Kart 7?

8. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    According to VGChartz (which, admittedly, isn't necessarily accurate, but other sources are showing around the same numbers), 3D Land has sold 8.56 million and MK7 has sold 8.15 million worldwide. So they're pretty much equal.

I think the one-two punch of those two games right after each other was a big reason the 3DS took off, and I'm really surprised they didn't try it again with Wii U. I don't see Pikmin, TWW HD, or DKC having that type of effect on sales.

9. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Pikmin's a system seller in Japan, but I don't think it'll be the same here.

Donkey Kong Country though? That was one of Nintendo's more sucessful Wii games that didn't have "Wii" in the title

10. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Yeah, but do you really think it'll make people buy a Wii U? Especially since it practically looks like an expansion pack to the Wii game. :/