1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Handheld Gaming' started by Geoff, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Play-Asia put this game on sale so I picked it up today.

Geoff likes this.
  2. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    Yay, it's about time! You'll love it.
    And it shouldn't take too long, should it? A couple weeks at most?

3. Cherrim

56%
    September is only a few weeks away. :P I had it sent to my townhouse at school though and I go home to my parents' house until the beginning of September on Sunday. So even if it arrives quickly (stuff shipped with the cheapest option from Play-Asia never does), I won't be here to get the package until September 2nd. Sucks, but it's already been shipped so no way to change that, haha.

(I sort of want to complete KH3D before I switch the game in my 3DS anyway!)

4. Cherrim

56%
    Started this game last night, "beat it" just now. It's okay for a rhythm game. Not great, merely okay. The only place it shines is in its music selection but even that is kind of iffy for me. I'm a huge fan of several FF OSTs and not a fan at all of others, and the songs they chose from each game range from amazing to horrible. (Seriously, I think I hate every single song they picked from X and XIII for the "series" section. :s) I was quite happy with the selection from V though--my favourite FF song of all time is Battle on the Big Bridge and I also really like the other two they included from it in series. :D

The gameplay is a bit iffy since I can't help but directly compare it to Elite Beat Agents. It really throws me off to have everything on the top screen and it makes it a bit hard to keep track of where you are on sliding notes when you aren't directly touching them. Also the note assignment is pretty ridiculous in some songs. A lot of the time, notes aren't aligned with the beat but rather with some odd foreground track (or the vocal track) which makes it really hard to predict when they want you to hit the trackers, especially if you aren't familliar with the song. Chaos mode is pretty bad for this since it randomizes the notes so they weren't even "carefully selected" like I presume the freeplay mode was. Battles are really neat though and while they seemed ridiculously simple at first, the difficulty does ramp up pretty quickly when you play them in Chaos mode or hit up the Ultimate version. I also vastly prefer fast tempo songs in rhythm games--the faster the better--and battle themes are always amongst my favourites for that.

I really, really like the RPG elements. It adds a neat bit of strategy to what is otherwise a pretty cut and paste genre. Factor in that they use the KH Mobile character designs and aahh! So cute! I wish there were more characters and/or the other characters were easier to unlock (looks like I'm in for a pretty long haul to get my dream team of Terra, Lightning, Aerith and Yuna) but on the whole I'm quite happy with the game.

If my credit card works with the Japanese eShop, I'm definitely gonna indulge in a bit of DLC. I don't mind it at all with rhythm games and I believe I saw a few songs in the DLC list that I really wanted to pick up. Desperate Struggle from XIII and Boss Battle from XII I for sure have my eye on. (Was kind of disappointed they weren't selected as included themes!)

5. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    I want to buy some songs but haven't gotten around to it yet. I like the battle themes too though.

And I found the notes usually line up pretty well. The thing is that it switches between rhythm and melody at pretty random points, so it can be tough to keep up unless you're really listening for it.

6. Cherrim

56%
    Mm, the notes line up less-well in the higher levels up Chaos Mode, I've found. I have a few sets where there is literally no beat or rhythm or melody holding the taps together and it's much easier to do some parts with the sound off so the music doesn't throw off your timing. I got my party of Terra, Aerith, Yuna and Lightning. And a bunch of DLC songs, oops... but I'm happy with each and every one of them so it's okay haha.

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    My party through the whole game was Lightning, Tidus, Cloud, and Cecil. The main characters of my four favorite FF games that I've played. Turned out pretty balanced too.

8. Cherrim

56%
    I'd never played FF6 before but Terra ended up being my main in Dissidia because she had the best playstyle for me so I kind of liked her for it. :P Theatrhythm finally made me play the original game, though, and I like her just as much.

I wasn't a fan of most of the main character choices from the games I've played. My base party was Terra, Cloud, Squall and Lightning. Cloud's okay enough (hate him in the Compilation but really like original Cloud from FF7) and I don't mind what I've seen of Squall (mostly KH since I've never gotten past disc 1 of FF8). Not a huge fan of Lightning but her lines were bitchy and hilarious so I kept her. u_u I was very happy to switch most of my team once I unlocked more characters. I think any party will serve you well enough, though, so long as your leader has a decent agility stat.