1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

Wii U sales weak - what can Nintendo do?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Geoff, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Cherrim

Cherrim Resident KH Fangirl

56%
    Wait, really?

o_O

Why... why do they want it? That's so...

...really not Nintendo.

Did they look at the first game?

2. Rhys

Rhys Co-Webmaster

62%
    We're talking about the people that published Ninja Gaiden 3: Raizor's Edge on the Wii U in the west. Bayonetta 2 is different though, they're actually funding the development instead of just publishing it. All Sega's doing is overseeing the project since they own the IP.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Yeah. What they said.

Nintendo's trying, just... very slowly. Like with their recent indie courting

4. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    The problem is that Sony has already done the indie courting, and is doing a far better job of it than Nintendo. Besides, indie games are games I'd rather pick up and play on a handheld system (Vita) than have to sit down in front of a TV and play on a big screen.

5. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Yeah, they'd be a better handheld fit

6. Platinum Lucario

87%
    I kind of think... the Wii U only began late last year, correct? The only reason I can think of as to why it hasn't sold much units would be due to the lack of 1st and 2nd party titles released for the Wii U. Once that all picks up, I'm sure the Wii U will become just as popular as the Wii did back in the days. ;)

7. Geoff

Geoff Administrator
    Administrator

31%
    No, that will never happen short of a miracle. Nintendo hit gold with the Wii and its casual, mass-market appeal. They can't replicate that with the Wii U - the tablet doesn't have the mainstream appeal of motion gaming, the price point was/is a lot higher than Wii was, and there was no Wii Sports at launch. A lot of the mass market that bought the Wii only bought it to play Wii Sports and then it sat and collected dust.

I think Wii U is salvageable at this point, but to think it will ever reach the sales levels that Wii did is absurd. If Nintendo is lucky, it might reach Gamecube levels of sales.

8. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    Right, same. It has only been out for a year, yes. But, they also had a year without competition wher they didn't market, didn't launch much quality content, and was drowned in bad press. They put all their eggs in one basket hoping lightning would strike twice with a perceived gimmicky controller for a market segment that no longer existing. The big boys are being released in a couple of months and even if they aren't must-buys immediately Nintendo's opportunity to secure a first-mover advantage has sailed by.