1. Welcome to the new 4P Forums, Guest! For more information on what's new, check out this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

You're in Control of a Franchise

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by TRIFORCE89, May 20, 2012.

1. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I'll toss the idea out here for you to respond. I... haven't quite pieced together my answer for this yet XD So, I'll hold off on my response.

So, here's the scenario. For whatever reason, you're suddenly in charge of a franchise that you really like. The next game is your baby. What do you?

Sequel? Reboot? Spinoff? Crossover?

What would the gameplay be like? Levels? Graphic design?

Go!

2. DarkSpade93

DarkSpade93 Level 11

59%
    Pokemon.

While there have been changes to main games over the years, Pokemon has really just been the same game for 15 years. So, here's what I would do to spruce things up:

Have a customizable character
    In Pokemon, you're playing as a character for hundreds of hours (well I do anyway). So it would be better if the character actually represented who you are. You could make them look how you want them to look or maybe even try to make the character look like yourself. You would choose your hat, glasses, shirt, jeans, shoes, eyes, hair, and facial features. Many games do this now and it's time Pokemon did too.

New Controls + No Routes
    After Gen V, the Pokemon games should not be sprite based. Therefore, you should be able to roam wherever you want using the control stick/circle pad and not be forced to simply move left, right, up, and down. In addition, the use of routes telling you where to go would be gone. From the moment you leave your hometown, you should be able to go wherever you want. Wander around and explore. Of course, there may be a correct order in which to do things but you can still visit other locations, like in the Zelda games. Or maybe there is no correct order. You can visit any town and fight any gym in any order. The difficulties would be scaled appropriately of course, for example if you fight this gym first then the gym leader's Pokemon are at this level and if you fight them seventh then they're at this level.

No More Turn Based Combat
    It's upsetting when you have something like Mewtwo or Groudon or Zekrom, some of the strongest, most aggressive looking Pokemon, just standing there during combat using the same attack animations as everyone else not really showcasing their fierce-some nature. So, with something like the Tales Of combat style each Pokemon could learn attacks that others could learn as well but the animation for it would be different, for example Bagon using Dragon Claw and Rayquaza using Dragon Claw would look very different.

3. TRIFORCE89

TRIFORCE89 Sage

52%
    I have a take on Super Mario Bros.

It's kind of like Sonic Generations where you played the same level theme from different perspectives (classic and modern Sonic play styles). Here you get platforming, adventure collect-a-thonning, and athletic obstacle courses variations all on one level theme. It would be a mixture of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land in terms of gameplay.

The plot is nothing special. I see this as a bit of a reboot, not that it really makes a difference. Mushroom Kingdom is a peaceful place and then the Koopa Troop invades through force and dark magic. Bowser captures Princess Peach on the word of his advising Magikoopa, Kamek, who has prophesied that the Princess has the power to reverse the Koopa King's plans. The Mario Bros., servicing a bathtub in Brooklyn accidentally uncover a Warp Pipe and find themselves in the Magic Kingdom and hear of the Princess' plight.

The game would be broken into worlds based on the locales of the Mushroom Kingdom. Think like Paper Mario or the Mario Kart games. So, there would be the token desert world, for instance, but a bit more interesting than just a generic desert world. So... grassland, beach/water, ice/snow, industrial underwater, lava, desert, jungle/forest, ghost/dark, castle/fortress, a small town, an urban metropolis, the sky...

Each world would be "open", kind of reminiscent of Super Mario 64. But these worlds act as a bit of overworld. You complete some puzzles and tasks within them to unlock Warp Pipes that lead to the actual levels. So, think Super Mario 64 meets Super Mario World meets Banjo-Kazooie for the overworld.

Some levels would be sidescrolling, some would be bosses, some more like the 3D Land levels, some more like Galaxy 2's obstacle courses, some involve Yoshi, some tailored to Mario and some tailored to Luigi, some are tasks like collect the Red Coins, some levels are full Super Mario 64-like worlds. Beating a level earns you a Power Star. For example, ach of the challenges in a SM64-type level would give you a piece of one star, completing a SMW-type level would give you a full star. Unlock new worlds based on star count, or find secret pipes leading from one world to the next. Some platforming levels would have alternate exists that unlock secret levels, like in Super Mario World. All levels of the various styles would be based off the same world theme and landscape and even share recognizable areas across them on occasion. There would be two secret worlds. And some secret levels sprinkled around the main overworld that are just one-of (like the Super Mario Sunshine fluddless challenges)

The moveset would basically be Super Mario 64's. Jump, punch, kick, backflip, longjump, etc. The standard powerups would be there like Super Mushroom, Starman, Fire Flower, Cape Feather, and Metal Cap. You can only carry one item in reserve. Some levels are easier with a certain power up (Frog Suit for swimming, Penguin Suit for traction on ice, etc.). Some power-ups are found and designed for use in only one level (maybe there'd be a honeybee level). The Hammer from the Donkey Kong games would also be present and function the same way as it does in the Smash Bros. games. You need to pick use power ups wisely, because they have downside too. Frog Suit is bad on land, the Hammer weakens your jump, for example. So, a small bit of welcomed strategy is involved. Yoshi also has powerups like in Galaxy 2.

/end-rambling